Step One: Install VMware Horizon Client for Mac OS X
To use the Virtual Computer Lab, you will need the VMware Horizon Client software. Follow these instructions to install it on your Mac computer:
- Visit the Download VMware Horizon website.
- Locate the “VMware Horizon Client for Mac” section. Click Go to Downloads.
- Click Download to download the VMware Horizon client.
- Open your Downloads folder and install the VMware Horizon client application.
Step Two: Off-Campus Only – Install the Virtual Private Network Client
If you are on campus, proceed to Step Three. If you are off campus, you must install the GW Virtual Private Network (VPN) client (How to install GW's VPN?).
- Navigate to the GW VPN website.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to connect to the GW VPN.
Step Three: Connect to the Virtual Computer Lab
Follow these steps to connect to the Virtual Computer Lab.
- If you are off campus, launch the GW VPN client and connect. Please note that you must remain connected to the VPN client throughout your VCL session.
- Launch VMWare Horizon Client. The client will be available in your Applications folder.
- Type vcl.acadtech.gwu.edu in the <Server Name> field in the New Server window and click Connect (see Figure 3).
- You will then be prompted to provide your Username and Password. In these fields, enter your GW NetID and Password. Then click Login.
- Once you successfully log in, you will see a list of virtual computers you have permission to use. Double‐click on the appropriate virtual computer.
- If only one virtual computer option is available, you will automatically connect to that desktop.
- Note: If you do not see the virtual computer you need, check with your course instructor to see if he or she requested access for you.
- Once you are connected to the virtual computer, you can use the virtual computer like a normal Windows PC. Application programs are available in the virtual computer’s Start Menu.
- When you are finished using the VCL, log off by clicking the LOG OFF icon on the desktop.
Please be aware the virtual desktop will erase any files saved to the machine during log off. Please save your work to an external source (e.g. your GW email or GW Google Drive) before you log off from the VCL. Academic Technologies staff cannot retrieve any lost files.